Getting Even June 16, 2019
KINGDOM OF GRACE #7
Matthew 5:38-42 / June 16, 2019
• EVIL “ANYONE’S” THEN AND NOW
o First century (slap, sue, force, borrow)o 21st century (what injustices are you suffering from evil ones?)o Jesus (Matthew 26:67; 27:30,32; John 19:17,23, 24)
• THE LAW OF RETALIATION
o “An eye for an eye…” (Exodus 21:23, Leviticus 24:20, Deuteronomy 19:21)o 3 grace-less attitudes
• THE KINGDOM RESPONSE
o “do not resist” (v. 39, note Ephesians 6:13, James 4:7, I Peter 5:9)o “…overcome evil with good” (Romans 12:19-21, Deuteronomy 32:35)o Grace (Exodus 21:25, Isaiah 53:5)
• Pray that God will give you strength this week to graciously respond to those who treat you unfairly. Ask God’s Holy Spirit to develop a spiritual reflex to overcome evil with good.
• Pray that God will send extra workers to our Eastview Kids ministry. Ask God if you are the answer to that prayer.
• Pray for our students upcoming trip, “MOVE” - the annual CIY conference. Pray that God will change hearts, renew Christian commitment, and reveal ministry purpose and calling to the hundreds of students that will attend from Eastview.
• Pray for the elder team as they prayerfully meet the next two weeks and consider how Eastview’s will play out over the next 3-5 years. Pray for wisdom and unity for Steve, Barton, Mike, John A, John M, Rod, Austin, and Chad.
• Pray for the lost (without Jesus) friend, family member, co-worker, acquaintances, and neighbors by name. Ask God to open their heart to the gospel and a door for you to speak.